I just realized I did not have a page to show when the power actually dies out. The original scene/transition was the kids would wake up the next morning to a storm and black out. That whole section of the book got delete. I almost forgot to insert something to take that role on. The lights have to switch off at some point and the child reader must see this change.
So the transition happens here. The family has just gotten back into the house after checking out their battery bank in their pickup truck. Storm clouds were brewing in the background (and I am revising this scene to show exactly how the power went out). As soon as David, being last to get inside, gets in thru the door the power goes out. I’d like to talk about something I may have been doing but did not realize already. Learned it while reading another book to my son. I am sure a bunch of other books have this, authors know this, unconsciously do it. I am just trying to articulate the lesson for the purpose of relaying it in this blog.
In this scene I compressed a couple of other scenes that I might have had to draw if I drew them in different times. The current drawing is simple but shows time moving from one side to the other. Mom notices the light flicker/go out. Dad, while still closing the door, sees it as well. Sarah confidently turns, knowing David has his flashlight with him…and finally David producing his flashlight from his edc and providing light for everybody. This allows me to narrate the story in one page to the child reader. I think I will try to consciously employ this to later scenes. It makes for more texture to explore, more layers to dig into, per scene per artwork. If I compose the scene right, I am stacking functions and have to do the same amount of work for one drawing. The only extra effort/energy is used while composing the overall image.